Red Wine Infused Beef Stew featuring Rouge de Miniere
As the days get shorter, and the cold gets stronger, there is nothing better than comfort food at the end of the day. This stew is the perfect winter meal to warm you and your loved ones up, and pairs excellently with a bold complex red wine! We suggest prepping this meal on a weekend afternoon and enjoying it in the evening, as it takes 3-4 hours to cook after initial prep!
Can’t wait for you to try and enjoy this classic all winter long!
- 2 pounds lean stewing beef, cut into 1- cm cubes
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Splash of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 12 small new potatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch of thyme, finely chopped
- 200 ml stewed tomatoes
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 200 ml Rouge de Miniere
- 500 ml organic beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC
- Prepare vegetables/ingredients for subsequent steps. Coarsely chop onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, mince garlic and finely chop thyme.
- Toss cubed beef into a bowl with flour and a pinch of salt and pepper, making sure the beef cubes are completely covered. Now set aside.
- Splash olive oil in a large casserole pot over medium heat. Add beef cubes when hot and cook until the cubes are browned, approximately 5-7 min. Remove beef from pot and set aside on plate.
- Splash additional olive oil into the pot, then add the chopped onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, garlic and thyme. Cook vegetables until softened, approximately 10- 15 min.
- Return browned beef to the pot, then add chopped tomatoes, stewed tomatoes and wine and stir. Cook for approximately 5 min or until liquid is absorbed
- Add beef stock, bay leaves and Worcestershire sauce to pot and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the stew to the preheated oven for 3 to 4 hours.